Poor safety shoes will offer insufficient protection against hazards occurring in the workplace and will therefore be rarely worn by workers. Are you planning to buy new Thorogood boots? Here are the points of vigilance to take into consideration:
- Freedom of movement and flexibility: as explained above, comfort is essential for safety shoes. Do you often work in a squatting or kneeling position? In this case, choose low work shoes that offer good freedom of movement for your feet and ankles.
- Working environment: the chosen shoes must withstand all kinds of external influences. Do you regularly work in damp rooms or the presence of chemicals? Plastic boots are then the ideal choice of footwear. Do you work in a kitchen or a food business? We recommend that you opt for waterproof shoes with non-slip soles.
- Season: Factors such as temperature and snowfall also influence the condition of your shoes and feet. Consider purchasing a pair of summer and winter shoes, possibly.
- Appearance: your safety shoes are an integral part of your work clothes. Thanks to the wide range available, you will undoubtedly find a pair to match the rest of your uniform.
- Shape: The right shape and size are essential for your work shoes. Check that the shoes support your feet well, without being too tight either.
- Level of protection: the level of protection is a decisive factor in choosing your safety shoes. Wearing work boots or shoes with steel noses is, for example, common in the construction industry. Below is a table showing the various existing levels of protection.
Classes Of Safety Footwear:
- SB: essential safety shoes with a steel nose and antistatic soles suitable for light work tasks.
- S1: safety shoes with steel nose, closed shock-absorbing heel, and antistatic properties. Suitable for dry working environments.
- S2: safety shoes with steel nose, closed shock-absorbing heel, antistatic properties, and waterproof upper. Suitable for working in wet conditions.
- S3: safety shoes with the same properties as class S2 shoes and a puncture-resistant midsole. These shoes are suitable for many professional situations, hence their great popularity.
- S4: water-repellent work boots with a protective nose, antistatic sole, and shock-absorbing heel. Boots are made from a single piece of rubber (vulcanized) or polymers (sprayed).
- S5: Water-repellent work boots with the protective nose, antistatic treaded sole, non-slip sole, shock-absorbing heel, and puncture-resistant midsole. These boots are also made from a single piece of rubber (vulcanized) or polymers (sprayed).
High Or Low Safety Shoes
A low shoe model is ideal for workers who regularly have to kneel or squat. A high model offers limited freedom of movement but better supports the foot and protects the Achilles tendon. This is the reason why this type of footwear is recommended in the construction industry.