The wardrobe is one of the most frequently used storage space available in a house. It helps to make your bedroom look less cluttered as everything will be stashed away. Read more about ways you can improve your bedroom interior in this article here. But in order to ensure that it is effectively able to satisfy the needs of the user, the selection of the same needs to be carried out after some deliberation. Some of the things which need to be kept in mind for the same are:
- Storage: Today there are innumerable wardrobes design available and this can be quite confusing for the layman. But this can be easily countered by understanding the purpose the wardrobe is to serve. Thus for wardrobes which need to hold:
- Dresses, formal wear and other such stuff need to have plenty of hanging space,
- Accessories require lots of drawers so that they can be properly organized,
- Shoes need to have ample ventilation,
- Cosmetics need a separate space complete with a mirror.
- Style: The style of the wardrobe helps it to blend in with the décor of the room. Thus the finish, colour, door pattern etc., need to be suitably chosen. For example for a room with ornate designs, the doors of the wardrobe need to be decorative. On the other hand for someone who wants a clean, simple and minimalistic look, the availability of open wardrobes offers a good option. Since the wardrobe is mostly kept in the bedroom, care must be taken to ensure that the aesthetics of the room and the wardrobe sync in quite well so as to create a visual harmony in the room.
- Measurements: This is a very practical requirement to consider since the wardrobe needs to fit in effectively into the space available. Thus the height of the room, the breadth and depth of the space which has been slotted to house the wardrobe need to be precisely taken. Along with this the internal measurements of the wardrobe also need to be taken into account. Certain important points which need to be taken into account are:
- Skirts, pants blouses etc., need about 45inches of height,
- Dresses worn by children need approximately 30 inches,
- The deeper the shelves the better is the storage capacity,
- In order to make stored items easily available, the wardrobe height needs to be a maximum of 15inches,
- There should be ample space between the wardrobe and the other furniture present in the room,
- The placement of the wardrobe should be such that it does not create an obstacle for a light source.
- Type of wardrobe: There are three different types of wardrobe available and the selection needs to be made as per the user’s requirement. These types are:
- The built-in wardrobe, which is fixed,
- The free standing wardrobe which can be moved from one room to another and
- The custom built wardrobe which is made based on the requirements of the user.
Custom built wardrobes offer greater freedom of choice as compared to the other two but can also be relatively costlier.
Once the above points get sorted out, it becomes easy to choose a wardrobe that best suites the requirement of the user.